KERATIN HAIR TREATMENT: WHAT TO KNOW?
PKMH Hair 101
We’ve heard of the ingredient keratin in several ads selling shampoos and other hair products. But what do we know off it? How is it helpful? What are its benefits? & the different types available for our hair?
We at PKMH have rounded up answers to all your queries in the article below:
What is keratin treatment?
Keratin is a major protein that is naturally available in our hair. It acts as an external protective and internal structural protein that protects our hair and keeps it healthy and fine. But due to factors like sunlight, pollution, changes in lifestyle & eating habits Keratin gets depleted leaving our hair dry damaged and dull.
A keratin treatment is a process in which keratin is artificially added to our hair to make it look frizz-free, shiny, smooth, and silky. This treatment is pretty popular among women and men because it makes your hair manageable and fills out the poorer spots in the hairs which materialise due to keratin loss. In short, it is a treatment that brings back the protein in your hair which you have lost due to various factors.
When and who should get a keratin treatment?
Keratin treatment is ideal for anyone who has loss of protein in their hair and has frizzy, unmanageable hair. Before heading out to the salon for any keratin treatment you should keep certain things in mind. Just because a keratin treatment suited someone you know doesn't mean it will suit you too. Keratin treatment is most suitable for people with curly and frizzy hair according to some major hairstylists. You should also try to consult a hairstylist before undergoing this treatment as they would suggest the best-suited process for you full stop. People with moderately straight hair for straight hair and healthy hair should avoid this treatment.
You should do your research and reading beforehand because it gives you a clear and better idea of what to expect from the treatment. Also, the consultation of a stylist would be best as they would know the best-suited formula for your hair. Do not forget to enquire about the prices as it is a costly and time consuming process and the prices vary from different lengths to lengths.
Different methods to achieve Keratin
By now it is clear to us that Keratin treatments are the key to frizz-free and manageable hair. Once you've decided to get a keratin treatment, the only thing you need to figure out is which sort of keratin treatment will suit your hair the most and which one you prefer. And yes there are multiple treatments for different kinds of hair.
The basis of every treatment is ‘Smoothening’
Smoothing is a treatment that does not compromise with the shape and eliminates frizz from your hair without losing the natural shape of your hair. This process decreases the blow-dry time and makes blowouts easy. This treatment lasts from 3 to 6 months depending upon whether you have received the treatment before or not if you have received the treatment before it will last longer because there is still a bit of product left in your hair.
Here are three types of Keratin according to the hair types and you can select which will benefit you the most:
This is the most natural and formaldehyde conscious of the bunch. Its application process is longer because we have to leave the product in the hair for 30 minutes after applying and then you have to bring the client to the sink to rinse out any extra product Cezanne is the least harmful and intense out of all three Keratin.
It is perfect for people with fine hair as it softens the frizz and nourishes the damaged ends but it is not suitable for people who got their hair coloured recently.
Keratin complex is great for people who want to eliminate frizz. It is most suitable for people with medium wave and thickness because it is the least strong out of all the three other keratin. It is extremely versatile and makes the health soft. It is good for a person who is unclear about the treatment.
This is the quickest but strongest treatment out of all the three treatments here. It is great for anyone who has curly and thick hair and wants sleek and smooth hair. texture and makes the curly hair manageable and soft. The texture of this treatment depends upon how many times the stylist has run the flat iron. It makes the hair manageable during humid summers and is easy to maintain.
PROs & CONs
Pros of keratin treatment
1. Keratin treatment smoothens the hair making the hair look manageable, less frizzy, and gives it a glossy and healthy look it also reduces the look of split ends and temporarily holds the hair back together.
2. Keratin treatment lasts for a period of up to 6 months until you don't frequently wash your hair like two to three times a week is enough.
3. Keratin treatment strengthens your hair and promotes hair growth and makes your hair strong and it does not break or break off easily. Hair seems to grow faster because the ends don't break off often.
Cons of a keratin treatment
1. Keratin treatment contains formaldehyde which is pretty harmful if inhaled. It is actually the ingredient that makes your hair look straighter. Different companies try to hide the fact that their keratin products contain certain harmful chemicals.
2. Keratin treatment is an expensive process and the price of the treatment depends from different lengths to different lengths. Sometimes you pay a hefty price for the treatment and the effect is not even long-lasting for your hair type or if not done correctly.
3. Keratin treatment also depends on the water used for your daily hair wash. If you swim in chlorinated or salt water or if you live at a place where the water quality is not good it will shorten the life of your keratin treatment. You also need to invest in a shampoo and conditioner which is suitable for your treated hair and in case you do not use it it will strip the treatments.
This treatment is not at all recommended for pregnant women as it contains harmful chemicals.
Hope you enjoyed reading this comprehensive guide to keratin treatment. Incase you have more queries, we’d love to hear from you!
Follow us on Instagram: @pkmhofficial
#beauty #pkmh #tutorials #tipsandtricks #beautyblog #hairtrends #haircuts #hairinspiration #hairstyle #hairstyles #hair #hairgoals #beauty #hairstylist #hairtips #cleanhair #pkmhrecommends #haircare #haircaretips #keratintreatment #keratin #hairsmoothening #smoothening #straighthair #hairstraightening #flatiron #frizzfree #frizzyhair
Note: The recommendations mentioned in the article are generic in nature. Incase you‘d like a hair or a beauty consultation, reach out to us on email.