top of page
  • Writer's picturepkmhofficial


PKMH Makeup 101

Let’s cut to the chase. This is your makeup glossary simplified!!!




It can refer to the basic first layers of face makeup that you apply before applying makeup, such as skincare and eyeshadow primer, or it can refer to the basic first layers of face makeup that you apply after applying makeup (primer, foundation, concealer, and brows). It might also refer to the foundational layers of face cosmetics that you use before you start applying makeup, such as skincare and eyeshadow primer (primer, foundation, concealer, and brows).

Blend: The act of applying a powder or cream product to the face and blending it out to avoid hard lines. Brushes or sponges can be used to mix foundation and facial products into the skin. Eyeshadow can also be blended on the eyelid, crease, and brow bone. To get a smooth, gradient loo, blending is crucial.


Concealer: A skin-toned concealer that may be used to hide blemishes, redness, and other imperfections. It's usually in a liquid form with more coverage than foundation.

Contour: To define regions of your face and give the illusion of shadows, use a product that is several shades darker than your skin. The product is often matte and applied below the cheekbones, on the nose, forehead, and jawline.


Dewy: Many liquid, cream, and spray cosmetic products come in this finish. It can seem illuminating, dewy/wet, shiny/shimmery, but it can also be extremely natural.


Eyeshadow: Colorful pigments are applied to the eye and its surroundings. Colors might be bland or vibrant rainbow colors. There are a variety of finishes (matte, shimmer, glitter, etc.) and shapes to choose from (cream, powder, etc). Eyeshadows can be purchased individually or as part of an eyeshadow palette.

Eyeliner: Product (black, white, nude, or multicolored) used to create winged eyeliner and to define the perimeter of the eye on the eyelid, waterline, and on the eyelid. It's available in a variety of forms, including pencil, pen, liquid, cream, and gel.


Foundation: To level up the complexion and hide imperfections, use a skin tone product to the entire face. Foundation comes in a variety of forms, including liquids, creams, sticks, and powders, as well as a variety of textures (matte, dewy) and levels of coverage (sheer to full coverage).


Glitter: It comes in a variety of forms, including liquids, pressed eyeshadows, and loose powders. A glue or glitter primer is used to apply loose glitter. It has the appearance of craft glitter, but it is finer and safer to use around the eyes.


Highlighter: A product that is lighter than your skin tone is used to highlight the high points of the face, such as the cheekbones and the tip of the nose. Champagne, rose, and gold tones are frequently shimmering or dazzling. It may be applied lightly for a natural glow or heavily for a "blinding" highlight that stands out.


Inner corner: Between the eye and the bridge of the nose, there is a little space adjacent to the tear duct. It is usually used for applying liner. shadow or highlighter.


Kickback: When you swirl a beauty brush into a dusty powder product, it "kicks" up a pressed powder (eyeshadow, blush, etc.).


Lipstick: It's available in a regular tube as a cream product or in another form, such as a liquid lipstick that dries matte. It comes in a variety of hues, but the most popular are red, berry, pink, brown, and nude.


Mascara: A black, viscous liquid that is applied to the lashes to make them look darker, longer, or fuller. Although some cosmetic artists use mascara brushes, it's usually applied with a spoolie. It can be coloured, although it is most commonly black.


Outer Corner: Following the outer lash line and into the crease of the eye, the area of the eyelid right above the outermost part of the eye is frequently referred to as a "V" or "7" shape.


Powder: Can be used to describe a product's ingredient list. Also refers to a cosmetic category (face powder) that is used as a foundation or to set the face.

Face powder is available in both loose and pressed forms. Some powders are tinted and can be used to add color and coverage as a powder foundation. Other powders are transparent and are used to set makeup rather than provide colour or coverage. Loose powder is used in baking.


Setting Spray: A liquid solution in a spray bottle that is used at the conclusion of the cosmetic application to seal in the makeup and extend its wear time. It's especially useful for sweat-proofing/waterproofing your makeup and making it look more natural, as if it's melted into your skin.


T-Zone: The area of the face formed by the forehead, nose, and chin and shaped like an uppercase T. For most people, this is the most greasy portion of their face.


Waterline: Below the lower eyelashes but above the lower lashes. For enhanced definition, use eyeliner or eyeshadow here.


The makeup world is teeming with jargon and technologies, and keeping up is almost impossible. It’s essential understand makeup terminology whether you’re a professional or not.

Doesn’t knowing a technical word make life easier? Now let’s get your makeup game on point!


Follow us on Instagram: @pkmhofficial

Note: The terms mentioned in the article are for generic purpose only. Incase you‘d like a specific consult please reach out to us on email.

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page